Week 1 Quiz (All answers correct)
1Why would a company want to supply a product to preferred customers during product ramp-up?
- Help develop a marketing plan
- Test the shipping process
- Identify any remaining flaws
- Get choice shelf positioning
2What is a company trying to optimize in the most common approach to developing a workcenter layout?
- Number of defects
- Amount of required staff
- Work shift hours
- Movement of material
3 Using a project layout for building an aircraft, why would you want to place rivets close to or even in the fuselage?
- Rivets should actually be placed farthest away from the fuselage.
- Rivets are small and you don’t want to lose them
- Rivets are used one time only in the construction process
- Rivets are used consistently throughout the construction process
4Some may argue that the production-line approach may not treat the process as a service process, but as what type of process?
- An operational approach
- A marketing approach
- A manufacturing approach
- A quality approach
5 Which of the following is a good example of a continuous process layout?
- A sit-down restaurant
- A gas refinery
- A home construction site
- An automobile manufacturing plant
6Even though they use different models, both the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Group and Nordstrom Department Stores are known for what?
- The personal attention they provide their customers
- Customer-facing employees who only talk to rich customers
- A self-service approach to customer service
- Poor customer service
7For which key organizational functions are tasks and responsibilities identified for all the steps of the generic product development process?
- marketing, design, manufacturing, other
- marketing, operations, training, development
- strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats
- operations, quality, personnel, finance
8Why is the planning phase often referred to as Phase 0 (Zero) of the generic product development process?
- This phase requires $0 to complete.
- This phase is not necessary.
- This phase happens before the project is approved.
- This phase is not completed until after the project has been funded.
9What happens to production efficiency as the customer exerts more influence on the system?
- Production efficiency is decreased
- Production efficiency is increased
- There is no effect on production efficiency
- Production efficiency is eliminated
10Poka-yoke is a Japanese term for a procedure that blocks an inevitable mistake from becoming what?
- A service defect
- A reason for over-production
- An unidentifiable waste
- A new process design flaw
11If an automotive service center has an issue with a car not being clean when returned to a customer, the poka-yoke corrective action might include what?
- Leaving the plastic on the seat when returning the car to the customer.
- Letting the customer make this determination
- Leaving it up to the service tech who took care of the repair to determine if the car is clean
- An inspection by the person returning the car before the car is seen by the customer.
12Why do many customers like the self-service approach to service design?
- The customer is always right in this type of system.
- It gives the customer more opportunity to steal from a company
- It puts the customer in control
- It provides the customer with the greatest amount of personal service.
13Permeable systems are characterized by being penetrable by customers via what two forms of contact?
- Face-to-face and internet contact
- Internet and mail contact
- Internet and phone contact
- Phone and face-to-face contact
14A service process design flowchart is referred to as a service blueprint to emphasize what?
- The impact of blueprints
- The impact of customer service
- The importance of system engineering
- The importance of process design
15 According to the Service-System Design Matrix, sales opportunity has what sort of relationship to production efficiency?
- Equal Relationship
- Inverse Relationship
- No Relationship
- Direct Relationship
- This solution has not purchased yet.
- Submitted On 14 Nov, 2014 12:16:14