UOP MGT521 Final Exam (Latest 2018)
1. Ethnocentric managers believe that their native country, culture, language, and behavior __________________.
need to be changed
are hurtful to others
are superior to all others
2. Joan, a new manager, must enforce sales report deadlines, but her team is struggling. She creates a new system to streamline the process and helps everyone understand why the deadlines are important. This is an example of which force for change?
shareholder, customer, and market changes
human resource concerns
3. According to Kotter, management and leadership are considered to be _____.
almost entirely unrelated
causal; that is, management causes leadership
complementary to each other
4. A goal is also known as a(n) ______________.
5. Organizations using a matrix structure _____.
contain two command structures, in which some people actually report to two bosses
centralize authority into a single person
establish a hierarchy in which employees report to only one supervisor
contain multiple overlapping command structures, in which employees report to several managers
6. Which balanced scorecard perspective helps top management's judgment to be better linked to measures of employee actions at lower levels?
Internal business perspective
7. Wanda, a CEO, has been encouraging her managers to study and utilize theoretical perspectives of management because this approach _____.
is an effective synergy-building approach
builds a strong family-type culture
provides clues to the meaning of your managers’ decisions
8. Strategic, tactical, and operational are the ____________.
levels of diversity
phases of the environment
three levels of planning
9. Dave owns several computer repair shops across the Midwest, and he has set a goal for his company of cutting costs in all his locations over the next three years. Dave has set a(n) ____.
10. The management approach that emphasized ways to manage work more efficiently is the ________ viewpoint.
11. _______ is about coping with complexity and ______ is about coping with change.
middle management, top management
12. Peter, the owner of Happy Burger, is involved in the company's daily decisions and has established procedures for every task. The company rules are clearly specified in the handbook, and Peter also believes in close supervision of all employees. Happy Burger is a(n) _______ organization.
13. Which of the following is a common reason some women face a glass ceiling?
inability to motivate others
lack of mentors
inability to produce high-quality work
poor financial performance
14. Phone Tech, a global phone company, frequently needs to respond quickly to the fast-changing consumer tastes with its phones. Therefore, management has fewer rules and procedures than most organizations, and networks of employees are encouraged to cooperate and respond quickly to unexpected tasks and changes in technology. Phone Tech is utilizing a(n) ____ structure.
15. Research indicates that women tend to display more _____, while men tend to display more ______.
social leadership, task leadership
democratic leadership, servant leadership
autocratic leadership, democratic leadership
task leadership, social leadership
16. Jimmy's supervisor noticed that he was struggling with the computerized setup for production runs at his new job. The supervisor observed him while he tried it again and gave suggestions for improvement. The supervisor is doing which step of the control process?
Take corrective action
Compare performance to standards
17. Susan is a front-line supervisor in a grocery retailer. She desires to decrease the time she spends doing her daily closing work. This objective set by Susan and for her is an example of a(n) ____.
18. In the strategic-management process, the final step, maintaining strategic control, is the source of _____.
the organizational mission
the current realty assessment
feedback and evaluation
19. Regina apologized to Clay for an e-mail that upset him. She said she had chosen an inconsiderate way of stating her idea, and that she'd be happy to discuss it further. Regina is _____.
practicing shared leadership
exercising personalized power
expressing consideration behaviour
20. In order, the steps of the strategic-management process are _____.
establish the mission; maintain strategic control; formulate the grand strategy; implement the strategy
establish the vision; develop a mission statement; formulate the grand strategy; implement the strategy; maintain the feedback loop
establish the mission and vision; assess the current reality; formulate the grand strategy; implement the strategy; maintain strategic control
establish the mission and vision; assess the current reality; conduct a trend analysis; maintain the feedback loop
21. The systems viewpoint sees organizations as entities made up of interrelated parts known as __________.
planning, design, inputs, monitoring, outputs, follow-up feedback
planning, inputs, monitoring, outputs, feedback
planning, designing, monitoring, production, feedback
inputs, outputs, transformation processes, feedbac
22. Inside forces for change include which of the following?
advancements in automation
low productivity and turnover
23. With small businesses in very competitive industries, small differences in performance may affect that company's survival. So in this case, it is worth the effort to implement _______.
24. The upper management of a large national retail grocery store has passed along the new goals of improving customer service to the district managers. At this point, the district managers need to determine how the stores in their district will achieve top management's goal with the given resources during the next 6 to 24 months. This type of planning is known as ____.
25. Don, the owner of a fishing business, attended an entrepreneurship workshop that discussed the triple bottom line, which measures an organization’s _________, ____________, ___________ performance.
financial, diversity, environmental
marketing, profit, efficiency
social, environmental, financial
social, synergy, diversity
26. David is starting a karate school, and he has been working with Mr. Smith, a business counselor with the SBA. Mr. Smith told David that the first three steps to planning his organization are (in the correct order) ___________, ____________, ____________.
strategic planning, mission statement, vision statement
strategic planning, operational planning, vision statement
mission statement, vision statement, strategic planning
operational planning, mission statement, hiring plan
27. Of the following, which is the best way for leaders to cope with change?
engaging in virtual planning
lobbying the government
28. Employees are likely to see an adaptive change as __________.
29. Typically, operational control is accomplished through reports issued _____.
30. The process of instituting ongoing small, incremental improvements in all parts of an organization is called _____.
- This solution has not purchased yet.
- Submitted On 04 Aug, 2018 09:09:47