Assignment 2: Quantitative Exercises and Final Project 2: Portfolio Analysis
Part One: Quantitative Exercises
In this part of the assignment, you will:
- Determine the value of stocks: preferred and common.
- Estimate the value of stock with high growth, and then estimate the value of stock with constant growth.
- Determine the components of stock valuation models.
- Determine the value of bonds paying annual and semiannual interest payments, and determine the yield to maturity of bonds paying annual and semiannual interest payments.
Download the Week 3 quantitative exercises called FIN2030_W3_A2_Template.xlsx.
Complete the assignment using this template. You may use the formulas in Microsoft Excel and/or a financial calculator. Be sure to summarize your results with embedded formulas in the spreadsheet, using the mathematical equations, or the steps taken on the financial calculator.
By Saturday, January 30, 2016, submit the completed assignment using the Microsoft Excel template provided, to the W3: Assignment 2 Dropbox. Show all your calculations.
Name your document SU_FIN2030_W3_A2_part1_LastName_FirstInitial.
Part Two: Final Project 2: Portfolio Analysis
Part A: Research Online Trading Sites and DRIPs
For this part of the assignment, you will evaluate the choices in purchasing stock via online brokerage accounts (where you can buy and sell stock via the Internet) and the use of dividend reinvestment plans (known as DIPs and DRIPs) or mutual funds or index funds.
For online brokers, you will be looking for the requirements to open the accounts: costs, minimum balances, and other features. Because most DIPs or DRIPs are available from publicly traded companies, you can search their Web sites or a search engine on these plans and their requirements.
Perhaps the most famous and useful Web site for these programs is http://www.directinvesting.com/. You are to compare and contrast online brokerage to DIPs and DRIPs.
Research online trading sites and DRIPS as outlined below, and summarize your findings. Make sure to include a summary table of the relevant information.
- Search three online trading sites, and determine the requirements for trading, including the price per trade. Compare and contrast the online trading companies. (2–3 pages)
- Search the Web for three companies (look for investor information) that offer DIPs or DRIPs. (2–3 pages)
- Compare and contrast the requirements, including minimum investments, nature of the return, costs, and other features. (1–2 pages)
Part B: Research Market Data on Bonds
Research the current (within the last two months) market data on bonds from AT&T, Dell, and IBM. Assume each bond has a par value of $1000, unless otherwise indicated. Cite your sources.
- Complete the table above.
- Calculate the value of the bond if your required return is 5% on AT&T, 6.5% on Dell, and 8% on IBM.
- Determine the yield to maturity (YTM) on the bonds given the current price. Based on each bond’s ratings and your determination of its yield to maturity, explain how you rank each bond for risk and return.
By Saturday, January 30, 2016, submit your responses to this Final Project assignment to the W3: Assignment 2 Dropbox. Your submission should be in a 5–10 page Microsoft Word or Excel document, showing your calculations. You can use the formulas embedded in Microsoft Excel and/or a financial calculator for these calculations.
- This solution has not purchased yet.
- Submitted On 04 Aug, 2017 12:33:22