TEST – Chapters 5 & 6
SOIL MANAGEMENT and ON-FARM COMPOSTING
FILL IN THE BLANK: (Bold answers; start them in a new line)
1. The Key factor to sustaining soil productivity over time is: ____________.
2. Lower quality compost could be used for ___________.
3. Higher quality compost should be used for __________.
4. Manures and composts contain significant amounts of _____________, and their consistent application over time can boost soil _____________reserves.
5. Trace elements, or minor elements such as boron, zinc, copper and manganese are needed by plants in ______________ and are also referred to as ______________.
6. The best testing procedure for trace elements is ___________.
7. Four sources of Nitrogen are:
8. What are the 7 ways to minimize soil erosion?
9. What are 2 references you could use if you decided to compost on your farm?
MULTIPLE CHOICE: HIGHLIGHT the correct answer. Some questions may have MORE THAN ONE CORRECT CHOICE — HIGHLIGHT ALL CORRECT CHOICES.
10. Biological and physical aspects of soil fertility are maintained primarily through the regular addition of organic residues by:
a. cover crops
d. crop residues
e. all the above
11. The most important information from a soil test is:
d. microbial activity
12. Conductivity measures:
a. Electrical charge of minerals
b. Cation exchange capacity
c. The level of soluble salts in soil
d. Acidity of pH in the soil
13. What tools are needed for composting that you may not already have available on the farm?
a. Compost turners
b. Soil Auger
e. Pick/shovel combo tool
14. Which are soil amendments?
d. Pea gravel
f. Styrofoam pellets
SHORT ANSWER: Bold answers; start in new line; answer in full sentences (correct spelling/grammar); answer ALL parts of a question; pay attention to what the question is asking (“Describe” vs “list”, etc.)
15. Define organic matter and explain its importance in sustainable soil management
16. Describe the 2 methods for assessing nutrient needs.(remember Describe means more than LIST)
17. Describe optimizing nitrogen fertilization.
18. Explain green manure.
19. What is the basis for fertilizer application rates?
20. List the major steps to implementing an effective, sustainable fertilization program.
21. Why would a farmer need to band or fertigate P for early season plant growth?
22. List and explain the benefits of on farm composting
23. Define Hot Composting.
24. Define Cold Composting.
25. List the questions you would ask yourself if you were testing your compost pile by observation.
26. (from Dirt! The Movie) What does the documentary say is wrong with our soil? (list 3 things—more for Extra Credit)
27. (from Dirt! The Movie) What are some things we can do to help the plight of the Earth’s soil? (list 3 things—more for Extra Credit)
- This solution has not purchased yet.
- Submitted On 09 Jun, 2017 11:29:57