Cashback Offer from 5th to 10th October 2021. Get Flat 10% Cashback credited to your account for a minimum transaction of $80. Post Your Question Today!

Question DetailsNormal
$ 3.00

STAT 3360 – PRACTICE EXAM 2 | Complete Solution

Question posted by
Online Tutor Profile
request

STAT 3360 – PRACTICE EXAM 2

THIS IS NOT THE REAL EXAM. IT CONTAINS QUESTIONS SIMILAR TO THE ONES ON THE SECOND EXAM AND IS AIMED AT HELPING YOU ENHANCE YOUR PREPARATIONS. THE REAL EXAM WILL HAVE OTHER PROBLEMS, SIMILAR BUT NOT NECESSARILY THE SAME! PLEASE, SOLVE THE PROBLEMS ON YOUR OWN OR ASK QUESTIONS IN CLASS. HINTS AND SOLUTIONS WILL BE PROVIDED IN CLASS PRIOR TO THE EXAM DAY.
1. [SECTION 7.5 + TABLE 2]
A CAR MARKET ANALYST ASSUMES THAT THE AVERAGE CAR SALES VOLUME FOLLOWS THE POISSON DISTRIBUTION WITH THE INTENSITY OF 0.15 OF A CAR PER DAY. IF X DENOTES HOW MANY CARS WILL BE SOLD BY A RANDOMLY SELECTED CAR DEALER FOR A PERIOD OF 30 DAYS, FIND THE FOLLOWING PROBABILITIES.
A. WHAT IS THE CHANCE TO SELL AT LEAST 5 CARS? P [X ≥ 5] =
B. WHAT IS THE CHANCE TO SELL FEWER THAN 8 CARS? P [X < 8] =
C. WHAT IS THE CHANCE TO SELL AT MOST 8 AND AT LEAST 3 CARS? P [3 ≤ X ≤ 8] =
D. WHAT IS THE CHANCE TO SELL MORE THAN 5 CARS? P [X > 5] =
2. [SECTION 7.4]
TOM AND JERRY PLAY A SET OF 6 TENNIS GAMES. ASSUME THAT IN A SINGLE GAME TOM HAS A 40% CHANCE TO WIN (AND THEREFORE, A 60% CHANCE TO LOSE). ALSO ASSUME THAT GAME RESULTS ARE INDEPENDENT. CONSIDER A RANDOM VARIABLE (Y) EQUAL TO THE NUMBER OF VICTORIES FOR TOM.
A. WHAT IS A PROBABILITY THAT TOM WINS AT MOST ONE GAME?
B. WHAT IS A PROBABILITY THAT TOM WINS AT LEAST ONE GAME?
C. FIND THE EXPECTATION, VARIANCE, AND STANDARD DEVIATION OF Y.
D. NOW IMAGINE THAT FOR EVERY WIN TOM GETS PAID $4 AND PAYS $6 FOR EVERY LOST GAME. CONSIDER A VARIABLE (W) THAT MEASURES TOM’S BALANCE. FIND THE EXPECTATION AND VARIANCE OF W.
3. [SECTION 7.4]
TOM AND JERRY PLAY A SET OF 5 TENNIS GAMES. ASSUME THAT IN A SINGLE GAME TOM HAS A 70% CHANCE TO WIN (AND THEREFORE, A 30% CHANCE TO LOSE). ALSO ASSUME THAT GAME RESULTS ARE INDEPENDENT. CONSIDER A RANDOM VARIABLE (Y) EQUAL TO THE NUMBER OF VICTORIES FOR TOM.
A. WHAT IS A PROBABILITY THAT TOM WINS AT MOST ONE GAME?
B. WHAT IS A PROBABILITY THAT TOM WINS AT LEAST ONE GAME?
C. FIND THE EXPECTATION, VARIANCE, AND STANDARD DEVIATION OF Y.
D. NOW IMAGINE THAT FOR EVERY WIN TOM GETS PAID $5 AND PAYS $4 FOR EVERY LOST GAME. CONSIDER A VARIABLE (W) THAT MEASURES TOM’S BALANCE. FIND THE EXPECTATION AND VARIANCE OF W. 1


4. [SECTIONS 7.1 – 7.3]
SUZY, A STOCK MARKET ANALYST, WANTS TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO INVESTING 40% INTO ONE STOCK AND 60% INTO THE OTHER. TWO STOCKS (I AND II) ARE CONSIDERED FOR SELECTION. THEIR EXPECTED ROI VALUES (IN CENTS PER DOLLAR) AND CORRESPONDING STANDARD DEVIATIONS (IN CENTS PER DOLLAR) ARE LISTED IN THE TABLE BELOW.
STOCK
ROI
EXPECTED ROI
STANDARD DEVIATION
I
X
12
5
II
Y
12
5
IN ADDITION, SUZY ASSUMES THAT THE CORRELATION BETWEEN THE ROI FOR STOCK I AND THAT FOR STOCK II IS ρ [X, Y] = – 0.8. SUZY FOUND THE ROI FOR THE PORTFOLIO AS
T = 0.4 X + 0.6 Y.
ASSESS THE PORTFOLIO BY FINDING ITS EXPECTED ROI AND VOLATILITY.
E [T] =
SD [T] =
5. [SECTIONS 7.1 – 7.3]
SAM, A STOCK MARKET ANALYST, WANTS TO BUILD A PORTFOLIO INVESTING 60% INTO ONE STOCK AND 40% INTO THE OTHER. TWO STOCKS (I AND II) ARE CONSIDERED FOR SELECTION. THEIR EXPECTED ROI VALUES (IN CENTS PER DOLLAR) AND CORRESPONDING STANDARD DEVIATIONS (IN CENTS PER DOLLAR) ARE LISTED IN THE TABLE BELOW.
STOCK
ROI
EXPECTED ROI
STANDARD DEVIATION
I
X
10
4
II
Y
10
4
IN ADDITION, SAM ASSUMES THAT THE CORRELATION BETWEEN THE ROI FOR STOCK I AND THAT FOR STOCK II IS ρ [X, Y] = – 0.25. SAM FOUND THE ROI FOR THE PORTFOLIO AS
W = 0.6 X + 0.4 Y.
ASSESS THE PORTFOLIO BY FINDING ITS EXPECTED ROI AND VOLATILITY.
E [W] =
SD [W] =


6. [SECTION 7.5 + TABLE 2]
TINA, A SMALL BARBER SHOP OWNER, WANTS TO ASSESS RISKS OF LOSING PROSPECTIVE CUSTOMERS. SHE HAS TWO HAIR DRESSERS AND THREE WAITING SEATS. THEREFORE, IT IS IMPORTANT TO EVALUATE THE POSSIBILITY TO HAVE AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF CUSTOMERS.
TINA INVITED A BUSINESS ANALYST TO HELP HER ASSESS RISKS. TRENT (THE ANALYST) ASSUMED THAT THE CUSTOMERS ARRIVE AT THE SHOP WITH THE EXPECTED INTENSITY OF 1 CUSTOMER PER 15 MINUTES. HE ASSUMES THAT Y IS A COUNT OF CUSTOMERS WITHIN ONE HOUR.
A. WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY DISTRIBUTION OF Y? FIND ITS PARAMETER. (EXPECTED VALUE OF Y) =
B. WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OF HAVING A REASONABLE LOAD, 2 TO 5 CUSTOMERS PER ONE HOUR? P [2 ≤ Y ≤ 5] =
C. WHAT IS THE CHANCE OF HAVING A HEAVY LOAD, MORE THAN 10 CUSTOMERS? P [Y > 10] =
D. WHAT IS THE CHANCE OF HAVING 5 OR 6 CUSTOMERS? P [5 ≤ Y ≤ 6] =
7. [SECTIONS 7.1 – 7.2]
A PIZZA DELIVERY OWNER FOUND THAT THE NUMBER (X) OF PIZZAS ORDERED BY STUDENTS RESIDING IN THE DORMITORY HAS THE DISTRIBUTION DESCRIBED BY THE TABLE BELOW. NOTICE THAT THE MAXIMAL ORDER WAS 5 PIZZAS.
X
0
1
2
3
4
5
TOTAL
PROBABILITY
0.15
0.20
0.25
0.10
0.20
1.00
A. WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OF AN ORDER OF 5 PIZZAS? P [X = 5] =
B. FIND THE EXPECTED NUMBER OF PIZZAS. E [X] =
C. FIND THE VARIANCE OF THE NUMBER OF PIZZAS. VAR [X] =
D. IN ORDER TO REMAIN IN BUSINESS, THE OWNER WANTS TO ENSURE THAT THE EXPECTED REVENUE (Y) MEASURED AS Y = 20 X – 40, WILL REMAIN POSITIVE. EVALUATE THE EXPECTATION AND VARIANCE OF Y. E [Y] = VAR [Y] =
 

Available Answer
$ 3.00

[Solved] STAT 3360 – PRACTICE EXAM 2 | Complete Solution

  • This solution is not purchased yet.
  • Submitted On 02 Mar, 2015 06:46:25
Answer posted by
Online Tutor Profile
solution

According to the given data, the car sales follows Poiss...

Buy now to view the complete solution
Other Similar Questions
User Profile
AceTu...

STAT 3360 – EXAM 3 – PRACTICE VERSION | Complete Solution

DF T Test n1 + n2 -2 22 n1 12 s1^2 900 m1 122.4 n2 12 s2^2 72 m2 106.74 pooled var (n1-1)*S1^2 + (n2-1)*S2^2/(n1+n2-2) H0 m1=m2 sd= sqrt(var) 22.0444 H1 m1 > m2 SE= sd*sqrt(1/n1...
User Profile
Guard...

STAT 3360 – PRACTICE EXAM 2 | Complete Solution

According to the given data, the car sales follows Poisson distribution with an average,  
Let the number of days in the selected period,  
Then, the probability of selling the car is calculated as fo...

User Profile
Guard...

STAT 3360 | HOMEWORK 5 | Complete Solution

Tom is gaining $3 for each victory and losing $4 for each game he has lost, how much money does he expect to win
Then, the pmf of W can be shows as follows:

...

The benefits of buying study notes from CourseMerit

homeworkhelptime
Assurance Of Timely Delivery
We value your patience, and to ensure you always receive your homework help within the promised time, our dedicated team of tutors begins their work as soon as the request arrives.
tutoring
Best Price In The Market
All the services that are available on our page cost only a nominal amount of money. In fact, the prices are lower than the industry standards. You can always expect value for money from us.
tutorsupport
Uninterrupted 24/7 Support
Our customer support wing remains online 24x7 to provide you seamless assistance. Also, when you post a query or a request here, you can expect an immediate response from our side.
closebutton

$ 629.35