The decision was made to use a process costing system. The first month of operation went fairly smoothly, and the CFO is ready to prepare her journal entries but asked for your help because she has not done this before for a manufacturing company.
Data for month ending 1/31/200X
Direct labor expended on jobs completed in month 1
Direct material used up
Budgeted manufacturing overhead
Budgeted production volume
Actual production volume
Supplies, indirect labor, maintenance repair costs totaled
Beginning work in process inventory
Ending work in process inventory
Using only the data in the chart, prepare the proper journal entries—including a date and notes showing any calculations—to record the following:
- Direct material going into the work in progress (WIP) account
- Manufacturing overhead all being credited to accounts payable
Please add your file.
Your assignment will be graded in accordance with the following criteria. Click here to view the grading rubric.
You, the CFO, and the rest of the accounting department now need to write a memo summarizing the data from the first month of using the process costing system operation.
Using only the data above, prepare a 300–400-word memo addressing all of these questions and showing all calculations:
- Why is calculating the predetermined overhead rate so important?
- Compute the firm's predetermined overhead rate.
- What would it mean if you mistakenly used too high a predetermined rate? What would it mean if you mistakenly used too low a predetermined rate?
- Compute the proper amount of overhead to apply.
- Compute the over- or under applied overhead.
- Prepare the journal entries to record the closing-out of the balance in manufacturing overhead to the appropriate accounts, and show any necessary calculations in the notes of the journal entry.
- This solution has not purchased yet.
- Submitted On 01 Nov, 2015 10:29:08