Homework 3: Drug Prevention. What leads youth to trying illicit drugs? How can parents, teachers, and society at large help youth avoid a life-long struggle with addiction? In this project, you will take an in-depth look at risk factors for drug use and explore different evidence-based prevention efforts. Based on your research, you will discuss how parents, teachers and society can play a role in prevention and argue for its cost-effectiveness.
- You can choose to focus on drug prevention in general or prevention of a specific drug (such as alcohol, nicotine or marijuana)
- Review Chapter 17 in the course text.
Hanson, G.R., Venturelli, P.J., & Fleckenstein, A.E. (2018). Drugs and society (13thed).Burlington,MA:Jones&BartlettLearning.
- Locate at least 2 recent journal articles (NOT websites) (within the past 10 years) that discuss risk factors for drug use.
- Locate at least 2 recent journal articles (NOT websites) (within the past 10 years) that discuss evidence-based prevention plans for drug use.
- Read all of your sources and take notes.
- Start writing your paper. You should have
- 1. An APA formatted title page. You can find a template for one here
- 2. An introductory paragraph in which you introduce the topic and discuss what you’ll be covering in your paper. I’d recommend including some current statistics on drug use in youth to set up the importance of your problem. You’ll also want to have a clear thesis statement.
- 3. A subheading called: Risk factors for drug use in youth. This is where you write approximately 1-2 pages discussing various risk factors for drug use in youth. You must cite in-text your 2 journal articles on risk factors in this section as well as the course textbook.
- 4. A subheading called: Evidence based prevention efforts for drug use in youth. You will write 1-2 pages discussing evidence based prevention efforts. Cite your 2 journal articles on prevention in this section as well as your course textbook.
- 5. A subheading called: Future recommendations. Based on what you’ve learned so far, provide some recommendations on how parents, teachers and society can play a role in prevention.
- 6. Conclusion
- 7. An APA formatted reference page of your 5 sources (2 for risk factors, 2 for prevention, and your textbook). You can find instructions on how to create an APA formatted reference page