Unit 2 Business Application Assignment: Strategy and Management
In this Application Assignment, we will build upon what we did last week in the first Application Assignment. It is definitely best to use the same business or company that you used in that first application assignment. But, if your instructor approves, you can change and select another company for this report.
Again, do some research on this business and prepare a 1-2 page report. Your report should cover the following points. Use your research to develop your own opinions, interpretations and conclusions about this business.
- As an introduction to your report, identify the business and provide a very brief description of the business.
- What is the company’s mission statement?
- What do you think this mission statement means?
- Identify and describe at least one strategic goal for this business.
- Based upon what you have learned about this company, identify and describe the qualifications a manager would need to work for this company.
- How do you think this company recruits and selects its employees?
- What sort of employee training and development program and opportunities would this company offer?
- Would you like to work for this company? Would you be a good fit for this company? Why or why not?
Insert a cover page that includes the title of your report, your name, the course, and the date.
Write your report in essay format. This means you must write in complete sentences and paragraphs instead of just inserting phrases under the points.
Your report should be 1-2 pages long, not including the cover page.
Double space your lines of text.
Your report should have an introduction as stated. After the introduction, it helps to use headings. Headings make it easier to write and to read your report. You can use the points to create your headings.
You must use at least one resource (preferably two) for this report.
- WIKIs, such as Wikipedia, are not allowed. They are not credible resources. For example, I could put information on Wikipedia about how to perform heart transplant surgery, but I am not a heart surgeon. Would you want to use my information?
- You should not just copy/paste your report from website on the internet.
- If you work for the company, you cannot help but give your own personal information. However, this type of information must be supported by a source - employee pamphlets, website, handbook, interview, etc.
- Incorporate your own summaries, interpretations, ideas, opinions into the company data and information you cite. Researching information and then interpreting this information is the primary purpose of any research project. We want to see evidence of research, but we want to see your own ideas and opinions and conclusions in this project as well.
Provide a References section at the end of your report for the sources you used.
Use APA Citation
- Remember to provide an in-text, parenthetical citation for any information that is not your own. For example, if you tell how many employees a company has, then you should insert a citation for this data that tells where you got this information. It is not your own!
- There are tutorials in Canvas that show you how to use APA citation. You can also get help in the Writing Assistance Center (WAC) with citation.
- Again, you should cite any information that is not your own. You do not cite your own opinions, interpretations and conclusions.
- APA citation can be hard to master. By the end of this course, we want you to have a good understanding of what to cite and how.