To prepare for this Assignment, recall that in Week 1 you imagined you were a researcher interested in determining if student intelligence is related to self-esteem. Now imagine that 10 individuals participated in your study and the raw data are given here:
To complete this Assignment, submit by Day 7 your answers to the following. Based on the scenario, use SPSS to determine if self-esteem is related to intelligence in your sample by computing a correlation. Save and submit both the SPSS data and output files.
• Before computing the correlation, state either a one-tailed or two-tailed, alternative hypothesis and the corresponding null hypothesis in words (not formulas).
• Based on the hypotheses you stated, explain whether you should conduct a one-tailed or two-tailed test. Provide a rationale for your choice.
• Identify what the correlation coefficient (r) is for this data set.
• State the degrees of freedom and explain how it is calculated.
• Identify the p value.
• Explain whether you should retain or reject the null hypothesis. Provide a rationale for your decision.
• Describe the direction and strength of the relationship between self-esteem and intelligence.
Submit three documents for grading: your text (Word) document with your answers and explanations to the application questions, your SPSS Data file, and your SPSS Output file.